Monday, August 23, 2010

I've Seen Miracles Just Happen...

"The LORD does not look at the things man looks at. Man looks at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart." Samuel 16:7

For the last several weeks I have begun to pray and plan for another year of Sunday school. The Sunday school I teach is unlike most Sunday school classes. Yes, we sing (and sometimes dance), read Bible stories, memorize verses, pray, make crafts and have a snack. Sounds pretty typical doesn't it?

However, Triumphant Teens/Kids are Sunday school classes designed with students who have special needs in mind. Every Sunday, volunteers with years of experience and training create an atmosphere of comfort, learning and fun for the students who otherwise would have a challenging time in Sunday school.

There are pictures to hep describe every word of the verses, there are skits and hands on experiments to bring home not just the idea that Jesus loves you, but that because of that love you can love others, even if you're 'unique.' In fact, because of their qualities I've seen these students love deeper and yearn for Jesus more than anyone!

Last Sunday our church showed a video we'd made of our class throughout the year. I was sitting with one of the students and she couldn't take her eyes off the screen. Through teary eyes I looked around and realized I wasn't the only one who seemed overjoyed in watching these special students learn about our Savior. The student I was with got so excited about seeing herself and her friends on screen that she began flapping her hands and smiling with this amazing joyfilled sparkle in her eyes. If joy is so evident now, what will it be like in heaven?

Often our students are over looked and under loved in the school system, the community and unfortunately, in the faith community as well. I do not believe this is intentional; I think it is a case of ignorance and fear. Before I became acquainted with the special needs community, I was scared of people who looked, talked and behaved outside of what I deemed normal.

I would see someone in a wheel chair or walking crookedly and I my heart would break, thinking, "Oh poor person." I wanted to talk to them, but I didn't know if they would understand me. I wanted to help them, but I didn't know what to do. So sadly, I would simply ignore them.

Looking back on the life expirences God provided me, I know that I am where He wants me to be. In 6th grade my teacher took our class to the Regional Treatment Center in Fergus Falls every Monday after lunch. We would sit around tables and talk with the residents there, do craft projects, play games and go for walks together.

It was terrifying.

I remember worrying that somehow my mere presence would harm these gentle people because I didn't know how to be their friend. By the end of that very short year, I came to love Monday afternoons. The residents had become friends. I knew their names, their quirks and that they liked ice cream just much as I did!

Being a Sunday school teacher is such an honor and blessing, but even more so because my students have so much love to give. They aren't afraid to be different because it's all they've ever known. They aren't afraid to love because it just isn't in them to judge or hate. My students teach me more about love, sacrifice and sheer joy then anyone ever has.

To see their smiling faces when they've memorized a Bible verse is amazing, but even better I love the look of joy they get when they figure out how that verse applies to their lives. For them Jesus is personal and real and I am so looking forward to learning and growing with my students again this year!

(Here's a great recipe, from my mom that would be great to treat Sunday schoolers of all abilities! It's great to make as a group too! Mom made these for me to bring to school on my birthday and it was always a big hit!)

Dirt Cups
1 pkg. Oreo cookies, crushed to resemble dirt
1 pkg. instant vanilla pudding

1 pkg. gummy worms
1 (8 oz.) pkg. cream cheese
cups, spoons and fake flowers

Mix: Prepare vanilla pudding as directed on package and allow to set. Mix in cream cheese until smooth. Add oreos and stir. As you fill the cups, hide a few gummy worms in each. Refrigerate for 3 or 4 hours then enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment