Friday, August 20, 2010

My Mom: A Proverbs 31 Woman and the "Casserole Queen."

Welcome. I finally decided it was about time to put this writing skill Christ gave me to use. I don't know, or really mind if no one ever reads this, but lately I have felt lead to simply write. Unfortunately, since I live a pretty droll life outside of work, where the real exciting stuff happens, but like the CIA I cannot talk about my job, this endeavor may be very short lived.

So, onto today's topic. My mom. Sharon Anne Johnson. The Lord blessed me with 25 years of love and food from her and I'd like to share some of her creations. Mom wasn't a gourmet chef, but she kept dad and I happy and well fed. She was the "Casserole Queen" with a pound of hamburger and a can of cream of mushroom soup, she could make magic.

Mom would sit sideways on her rickety, metal stool over the sink peeling and slicing nearly a whole bag of potatoes. She'd use Idaho or Red, whatever we had on hand. Her arthritic fingers swelling in the cold water, but she never complained. After slicing the potatoes into thin slices she would throw them along with a few tablespoons of butter into an electric frying pan.

The pan would sizzle and pop. She'd carefully stir the potatoes coating them in the melted butter. Mom would cover the pan and stir occasionally for about 15 minutes. Once the potatoes were nearly soft, she'd add the finishing touches.

The air in the entire house would smell edible, as if you could scoop it up in your fist and shove it into your mouth. I think that's true of anything fried in butter, but potatoes especially make a truly lovely aroma. Next Mom would add, you guessed it, the secret of all secret ingredients--cream of mushroom soup, along with a half a can of milk. (More if needed.) Top that with green beans, fresh if you have them or 2 cans of green beans works great too.

I know I said Mom usually used ground beef, but for this amazing conglomerate of goodness she used ring bologna. Yep. That's right. She'd grab the "not so good scissors" from the junk drawer and cut off slices. I usually use the all beef variety, cause I'm a snob like that.

Then after letting that cook up for another 10 minutes mom would sprinkle the entire dish with shredded cheddar cheese and stir to melt. Mom, with concentration on her face and a smile for having accomplished something she knew we'd like, would proudly bring it to the table.

I cannot tell you how amazing this looks being scooped up onto your plate, when you're hungry it looks ever MORE amazing and smells just . . . well DELICIOUS! It's this blob of charred brown from the fried potatoes mixed with a bright green slashes of the beans, dark brown circles of beef and the dull yellow of the cheese. It's ooey and gooey and oh so good!

Mom. Thank you. You made this because you knew it made us happy and it still does today. I can see your beautiful face smiling down from heaven every time we make this. You truly were a Proverbs 31 Woman and I'm so grateful for all you taught me. After all in 2004, I did win the potato peeling contest at Potato Days and I'm sure it's from watching you peel all those potatoes for this dish! I love you!

In honor of the true "Casserole Queen" here is her recipe for what we affectionately call, "Ring Bologna Hotdish." (The ingredients are approximate. Add more or less potatoes to your liking. Etc.)

Ring Bologna Hotdish
1 Ring Bologna any variety, but I prefer all beef
2 cans green beans (drained) or fresh green beans (cleaned and parboiled)
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1/2 - 1 can(s) of milk
2 lbs peeled and sliced potatoes
4-8 oz shredded cheddar cheese
2 Tbsp. butter
 
On medium heat melt butter in electric frying pan or on the stove in the biggest frying pan with a lid you have. Add the potatoes and coat with melted butter. Fry for 15 minutes until potatoes are becoming tender, cover and stir occasionally.

Stir in soup, milk, beans and bologna. Cover and stir occasionally 10-15 minutes until heated through.

Sprinkle with cheese and stir to melt. Enjoy!


"She gets up while it is still dark; she provides food for her family. . ." Proverbs 31:15

No comments:

Post a Comment