Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Geeking out on the pimento loaf. . .

doughnut noun
(US also donut) /ˈdəʊ.nʌt//ˈdoʊ-/ n [C]
a small circular cake, fried in hot fat, either with a hole in the middle or filled with jam
(I thought this was funny, so I added it to today's blog.)
 
For those of you unfamiliar with the 'pimento loaf' or 'pimento bread' please let me take a moment to explain. Whenever, I'd go grocery shopping with my mom, I couldn't wait until we reached the bakery section. It was the last stop on our grocery journey and of course we bought donughts, for my dad's lunch, mom would say, but her and I ate just as many as Dad got in his lunch. Mom always ate her cake donoughts with ketchup, but that's another blog for later.

We'd pick up donughts and if I'd been good an iced decorated cookie (GO SUGAR!), and of course cinnamon bread. This bread was circular and already sliced. It is great toasted with butter for breakfast, but even better it makes the best pimento loaf. 

Ok, I've tried to explain this to people who did not grow up in this area and they give me the craziest of looks. It's not as horrible as it sounds, in fact as I sit here and type I am totally craving it. See you take the jar of cheeze whiz. Yep. The fake orange, yellow goo they have the nerve to call, "cheese." At least they spell it differently. . . Ok so I'm not really a fan, but on cinnamon bread, the goo begets a new exciting, dance on your tongue, taste! Yes. You did read that correctly. You put the cheeze whiz ON the cinnamon bread.

Then to make it even more bizarre, you slice up your favorite green olives with pimentos and top the cheeze laden cinnamon circles with them. It's salty with a bite and a smooth cheezy, cinnamony-ness. . .Give it a try. I think you're going to love it.

Once upon a time an elder church lady had to bring something to a potluck. She looked in her nearly bare cupboard and among the canned peas and cat food, there was a jar of cheeze whiz and a jar of green olives. She pulled out a loaf of cinnamon bread that had been languishing in the freezer and gave birth to this potluck favorite. I've heard it called 'cheeze whiz on cinnamon bread' or 'pimento loaf' or 'pimento cheese bread' or even, 'funeral bread!' Maybe the potluck was for a funeral? I want this at my funeral, for sure!

Now, where did this all come about? This last Sunday I got to go to church with my dad and stepmom. My dad is a humble, honest and hardworking man, but he doesn't go to church. He used to. He used to be a greeter and help out at fish frys and he even used to sing! I can't tell you what happened, but believe me I am in constant prayer for him to come Home.

My stepmom has managed to get him to go to services a total of three times this summer! Way to go! Dad and I haven't been to a service together since Mom died five years ago, so this was a real treat for me. The service was at a little country church in the middle of Maplewood State Park. It's surrounded by beautiful woods and a quaint graveyard with names like, 'Johnson' and 'Larson' and my personal favorite, 'Gullek Gulleckson.' The windows were open and when there was a pause in the service you could hear the wind rustling through the trees.

The church had a kind of 'gospel karaoke' thing going on. There was a group of singers, a family, and they would sing with the words on a screen and the recorded background music pouring out through the church speakers. They invited us to sing along if we knew the words to which my stepmom and I did and I'm pretty sure I heard my dad humming a few bars himself.

After the service we were all invited to the basement where a spread of homemade goodies was laid out for our pursual! There was ham and turkey buns, banana bread, date filled cookies and coffee and lemonade. It was a lovely array of goodies! The first thing to catch my eye was, yep. You guessed it, the pimento loaf.

I took a picture of it and the dear elder ladies in the kitchen thought I was nuts. Well...it's not every day you get to attend church with your daddy and get to experience an authentic church potluck custom, like pimento loaf! Oh yum!

Cheeze Whiz on Cinnamon Bread
1 loaf round cinnamon bread
1 jar cheeze whiz
1 jar pimento laden green olives (optional)

Slather each slice of cinnamon bread with cheeze whiz and top with sliced pimentos. Great for churck potlucks, a quick snack or even a funeral!

No comments:

Post a Comment